When you apply the brakes, does your steering wheel vibrate left and right or you feel vibrating coming from the front end? This is actually a common problem with the GTO, which can be easily fixed.
The factory radius rod bushings are extremely soft and fluid filled. The result is excessive suspension movement and vibrating pedal feel upon braking. The factory bushings prematurely wear, which may also cause your tire alignment to constantly be off and possibly cause the tire to rub on the front strut while turning.
Replacing the radius rod bushings is a must for all 2004-2006 GTO owners. This can easily be done by yourself with fairly simple tools.
First thing you will want to do is buy the replacement bushings which can be purchased from here:
Kollar Racing Radius Rod Bushings – Adjustable
- Jack the front end of the car up and place on jack stands.
- Remove the center nut first using a 24mm wrench or socket. Use a propane torch on the nut first to loosen the factory thread lock.
- Remove the (4) mounting plate screws
- Remove bushing, save washers, place the old bushing assembly in the garbage where it belongs
- Download the install instructions: . Use the +3/4 castor setting when setting your new washers
DOWNLOAD (.pdf format) 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO Whiteline Radius Rod Adjustable Installation Instructions
- Use the grease packet supplied with the new bushings. Be sure to grease the internal bore of bushing per installation instructions. Install new radius rod bushing assembly using the +3/4 castor setting.
- Install radius rod nut. Do not tighten yet!
- Install (4) mounting plate nuts. Tighten to 17 ft/lbs
- Tighten radius rod nut to 109 ft/lbs
- Take car off the jack stands, go for a drive, and enjoy!
|Note: I hope you found the information on this website useful. Many hours of time and research has gone into building this website. Please feel free to donate to Mark Quitter Racing. Donations will be used to pay for website services and fees that are used to keep this site current and online. Your contribution is greatly appreciated. Donate here|